Saturday, November 5, 2011

"Present" tense


A few days back, one of my friends pinged me. "you remember right?" I wondered what I had forgotten again this time around. What, I asked, half expecting a nice expletive from the other side. Sounding exasperated, he told me that it is our roomies birthday tommorow! I of course remembered that ( I swear!) What present should we give him, he asked me. I groaned. That question leaves me stumped every time. Cash obviously sounds very uncool. We have a new word for that these days.

"Gift Card de dete hai yaar"!, I said.
"No yaar Lets give him something he likes or something for his house"
"Hmmm..Sounds Good. But What?"
"Ummm...dont know. Lets think over it and discuss tonight" 
"Ok. Will do that"

That discussion never happened.

Gifting is quite complicated! Really! Kya magajmari hai re! Aur upar se if one is gifting a lady, the complication is multiplied manifold. My friends have several entertaining stories about this. If u think of giving a voucher, you are considered as lazy and get to hear - "Tum ek gift bhi nai laa sakte! Itna effort bhi nai le sakte!" If u ask her what she wants so you can gift her that, you get to hear - "you do not even know what I like!" Complicated.

Once just after college, I remember telling myself that how can choosing a gift for a friend you know well cannot be THAT difficult. Its probably all in the mind. So I proclaimed that on the occasion of my friends birthday, I will buy the gift on behalf of everyone. My friends looked at me as if I had told them that Upen Patel had won the best actor award. But I was adamant. They relented, reluctantly. I thought of what all she liked and thought that she looked pretty in a salwar. I bought a nice bright suit and proudly asked her to open it. To date, I still remember the sequence of events - her awkward expression on seeing it, somehow conjuring a smile and saying its so pretty and then all my friends bursting out laughing. RIP - Choosing what to Gift.

And then I marvel at how some people are able to choose presents so effortlessly. They know what the person likes and pickup something that is bound to delight and surprise. I have been fortunate enough to know many such people. The gits maybe small. They maybe simple. But the richness of thought and effort behind it is what really counts.

Like the unique best friend mug in which I have my tea everyday. Like a collection of Charles Dickens novels which got me hooked to the wonderful habit of reading. Like a hand written letter. Like a message in a small lovely bottle. Like a photo calender with photos of my closest friends. Like a convenient and practical travelling pillow since I love to travel. Like a year long subscription to National Geographic magazine. Like a Arsenal key chain and calender. Like a small FIFA travel bag. Like a "Power" cricket bat (Remember the days when Sachin batted with a Power bat!). Like a Goa bermuda and sleeveless shirt just for the sheer hilarity and mischeif behind it!! Like Mom cooking my favourite dishes on my birthday :) 

When I think about it, it really sounds so simple. But it really is not. Cos predictibly, we still gifted our roomie a Gift card :P

No comments:

Post a Comment